August 15, 2019 | Source: Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
The United Family raised a record $500,000 through the 28th annual Jacky Pierce Charity Classic golf tournament, including $116,700 for the Lubbock Area United Way.
Donations were presented to organizations from Texas and New Mexico Sunday evening at the company’s tournament charity dinner at Eberley Brooks Events in Lubbock, according to a news release form United.
The tournament has raised more than $4.5 million for local charities since its inception in 1991. This year’s proceeds were distributed to 27 United Way organizations and one former United Way now operating independently in the communities The United Family serves.
“The Jacky Pierce Charity Classic has become an iconic annual event which brings together our valuable business partners and team members all of whom share our commitment to serving communities,” Robert Taylor, president of The United Family, said in the statement. “I’ve long believed that if you want to make a donation dollar stretch as absolutely far as it can, supporting the United Way in your area is a great way to do it.”
The tournament was named in honor of United Supermarkets longtime produce director, who guided the annual golf tournament from its infancy until losing a lengthy battle with cancer in August 2002. The tournament was renamed to honor Jacky Pierce’s memory in 2003. The 28th annual edition is being played Sunday at the Rawls Course and Monday at Lubbock Country Club and the Rawls Course.
“In addition to supporting an incredible cause, our annual golf tournament is another way for our team members to remember and honor our friend Jacky Pierce, who touched all our hearts in many ways,” said Taylor.
Tournament beneficiaries include:
- Brown County United Way
- Dallam-Hartley County United Way
- Deaf Smith United Way
- Graham Area United Way
- Hutchinson County United Way
- Lubbock Area United Way, Inc.
- North Texas Area United Way
- Ochiltree United Way
- Pampa United Way, Inc.
- Plainview Area United Way
- Scurry County United Way
- United Way - Lea County
- United Way of Abilene
- United Way of Amarillo & Canyon
- United Way of Carlsbad and South Eddy County
- United Way of Central New Mexico
- United Way of Chaves County
- United Way Concho Valley
- United Way of Deaf Smith County
- United Way of Denton County
- United Way of Eastern New Mexico
- United Way of Metropolitan Dallas
- United Way of Midland
- United Way of Moore County, Inc.
- United Way of Northern New Mexico
- United Way of Odessa
- Thrive in Southern New Mexico, formerly United Way of Otero County
- United Way of Santa Fe County
- United Way County