REGISTER YOUR STUDENT FOR PRE-K or PRESCHOOL
As part of our Start Smart initiative, we are partnering with Lubbock ISD, Frenship ISD, Lubbock-Cooper ISD, Early Learning Centers, and the YWCA of Lubbock to encourage families to register for pre-k or preschool.
When children attend high-quality preschool or pre-k, they are...
- more likely to succeed in school,
- more likely to have a full-time job and consistent employment later in life,
- less likely to develop alcohol or drug problems, commit a felony, or go to prison.
What will my child learn?
High-quality prekindergarten provides a learning environment that inspires curiosity, builds confidence, and fosters a love of learning. Children learn essential skills for being successful in school like:
- Paying attention
- Following 2-3 step directions
- Learning lots of new vocabulary words for objects and ideas that help them to comprehend what they read and hear
- Learning the ABCs and the sounds associated with each letter
- Learning how to read and write short words including their name
- Learning numbers from 1-to 20 and counting
- Sequencing, sorting and problem-solving skills that will help them with reading and math
- Following daily routines
- Taking turns, sharing, and appropriately communicating with others
- Building strength and coordination of muscles for academic and nonacademic activities
- Asking questions
- Seeking answers
- Building confidence as learners and a positive relationship with school