Your Legacy: Giving • People • Hope
Alongside South Plains communities, Lubbock Area United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person. True progress toward these goals is achieved by collaborating with people like you to create effective solutions specific to the needs of the individuals and families in WestTexas.
Together, we have raised graduation rates, lowered the rate of low-birth-weight babies, curbed the rise of child abuse, and ensured that more local children are school-ready.
But as the Lubbock area grows, so do the needs in our communities. United Way is committed to identifying these needs and to coordinating efforts to create lasting solutions. Core to our identity is the belief that we are stronger when we stand and work together.
You are invited to be a part of our commitment to building a strong future for South Plains communities through a gift to the United Way Endowment Fund.
Lubbock Area United Way Endowment
Established in 1991, proceeds from the Lubbock Area United Way Endowment fund are used to meet local needs today and for years to come.
Investors can choose from two different funds:
- The Program Fund: Distributions are used primarily for United Way Community Partner allocations. A small portion supports overall operating expenses.
- The Operating Fund: Distributions cover United Way operational expenses, allowing more of the gifts given during the Annual Campaign to go directly to its Community Partners.
Ways to Give
- Include United Way in your will or estate plan.
- Add United Way as a beneficiary for an existing or new life insurance policy.
- A gift of life insurance allows you to give a larger gift for a smaller cost.
- Your insurance provider can assist you in updating your beneficiary preferences.
- Consider making United Way the owner and beneficiary of a life insurance policy.
- Premium payments may be tax deductible.
- Your insurance provider can assist you in transferring ownership of an existing policy to United Way.
- Transfer fully appreciated stock or real estate.
- Tax deductions or tax avoidance at the time of sale may be available.
- Consider an IRA Rollover.
- For donors ages 70.5 years and older, a direct rollover of funds from an IRA account to a charity can satisfy the legal minimum distribution and may have some tax advantages.
- Other more complex giving options are available, based on the needs of the donor.
*All donors are encouraged to consult their own legal and financial advisors, in addition to their family in the gift planning process.
Be a Part of a Collective Legacy as a Member of the Red Feather Society
The Red Feather Society honors those who have demonstrated their commitment to Lubbock Area United Way by making a significant gift to the endowment. Members form a collective legacy that will impact the South Plains for years to come.
The red feather was used as the symbol of the national Community Chest in the 1930’s through the 1950’s. This organization would later become United Way. The painting by Grandma Moses was commissioned by the Community Chest in the 1940’s. The Red Feather Society was chosen by local leaders as a way to recognize our most generous donors to the endowment.
As a donor to United Way, you have shown your commitment to Giving • People • Hope.
A permanent gift creates a legacy that will meet the evolving needs of our community, continuing to give people hope for generations to come.
For more information on any of these giving options, please email Amy Berry or call 806.747.2711.