Each day, local United Ways, businesses, community organizations, and individuals work to build a stronger West Texas. Representing several communities across West Texas, we believe that active participation in advocacy is critical, not just to furthering the impact of our work, but to driving lasting systemic change. Collectively, we push for improvements in the areas of early education, behavioral health, and safety and wellbeing ensuring all West Texas communities have the opportunity to thrive. You are invited to join Lubbock Area United Way and communities across West Texas in supporting the West Texas Coalition for Community Success's 2019 Advocacy Agenda:
United we support EARLY EDUCATION.
- Secure permanent funding for full-day, high-quality prekindergarten.
- Strengthen and expand efforts to effectively engage and support caregivers in their roles as the primary partners in learning from birth through adulthood.
- Leverage school systems to promote and facilitate family and community engagement across all grades that recognizes cultural and linguistic diversity of students.
United we support BEHAVIORAL HEALTH.
- Incentivize mental health providers to support underserved populations ensuring more individuals have access to quality, affordable mental health services.
- Support initiatives aimed at raising awareness and education to promote positive mental health.
- Require health class as part of the K-12 public school curriculum, including integration of mental health in the required health curriculum.
- Support awareness campaigns that help to destigmatize suicide and mental health issues, treatment, and resources.
United we support SAFETY AND WELLBEING.
- Increase grant funding for the Healthy Outcomes through Prevention and Early Support (HOPES), a community-based program that supports families with children between zero to five years of age.
- Strengthen and increase funding for DFPS’ community-based care.
- Increase resources to support caregivers serving children and youth in the foster care system.
- Provide funding to expand and enhance local detox and substance use treatment and recovery programs.
- Ensure all mandated reporters receive training on child abuse neglect, trafficking, and exploitation and provide funding to support training efforts.
- Ensure adequate treatment and resources for victims of maltreatment, trafficking, and exploitation.
- Decriminalize victims of sex trafficking ensuring more victims have the opportunity to heal and rebuild their lives.
How you can help:
Take action by signing up to receive updates as our agenda items are discussed in the Legislature and keep up with ways that you can help advocate.